The history of Holy Child School Kalna
The Society of the Sisters of Charity was founded in Italy in 1832, came to India in 1860 and since then the sisters are serving in many parts of the country in orphanages, hospitals, homes for aged, schools, colleges and leper rehabilitation centers and other charitable institutions.
The pioneer missionaries of sisters of Charity set their foot in a small sub- divisional town of Kalna, in the district of Burdwan, in the year 1966. As the need arose, an English medium school was opened on 11th January 1991 for the benefit of the local children. It continued to function as a primary school nearly two decades. This institution is owned by the society, a body registered under the society’s Registration Act XXI of 1860 having its provincial house in Kolkata. Following the footsteps of our foundress St. Bartolomea Capitanio the sisters with their determination and hard work upgraded the school from primary to the secondary. With the blessings of the Almighty and support of the guardians the school applied for the NOC from the State Government to apply for affiliation of ICSE and received the provisional affiliation on 21st October 2013 and our first batch of 16 students appeared for the ICSE in the year 2016 and all of them was awarded pass certificates.
It is a minority institution established and administered by the society of Sisters of Charity of Saints Bartolomea Capitanio and Vincenza Gerosa, also known as Sisters of Maria Bambina (Holy Child Mary). Hence the institution bears this name. The School day is celebrated on 8th September being the birthday of Mary, the mother of Jesus Christ.
The institute of the Sisters of Charity from the beginning has developed a profound consciousness that education of the youth is a vital component of the charism of its foundress St. Bartolomea Capitanio who held the youth very dear to her heart and committed herself whole heartedly to their personal growth and development so that they would become agents of change for a just society. The school caters to the education of all, irrespective of caste, creed, religion and language.The society of sisters of charity owns other schools affiliated under Council for the Indian School Certificate Examination New Delhi, namely Holy Child Jalpaiguri ( W. B ) Holy Child Dumka ( Jharkhand) Holy Child Ghaziabad (U.P).
Thus a journey which began on 11th January 1991 crossed many a hurdle and reached to the point where we stand. This journey was not smooth. But the determination and hard work of the sisters of Charity helped the school to achieve whatever success it had. The success of a school depends on its students. Thus to develop the mental and moral values of the students the school took several steps to cultivate in them the love and appreciation for their culture and tradition and also to inculcate in them the sense of value and develop their intellectual, creative and aesthetic faculties.
Thus for the enhancement of the school, it takes care to develop a well balanced personality of the students for the good of the society and for the promotion of the better world where love, fellowship and service prevail.
Holy Child School, Kanla is a co-educational Christian minority institution having classes from L.K.G. onwards with English as the medium of instruction. It is upgraded to the level of class X and it is affiliated to I.C.S. E. Board, New Delhi. The school caters to the education of all, irrespective of caste, creed, religion and language.
School Infraststructure & Facilities
- Junior school building at Kansaripara, Kalna.
- Senior school building at Jewdhara , kalna.
- Large grassy field
- covered basketball court
- Playground for school children
- Outdoor Toys like swings, jungle gym etc.
- Large hall for morning assemblies.
- A large library with huge collection of books.
- Air-conditioned computer room with 40 modern standard computers.
- Well equipped Labs-Physics, Chemistry, Biology.